Friday, April 12, 2019

26a. So I don't want to be the guy who says something about this semester but...

How I wish everything went
The case for failure is one that meets us at every corner. Maybe our fail came from not showing up on time, maybe it came from missing due dates or forgetting appointments. It's time to air out the dirty laundry!

Where I've Slipped

I will admit I have a few drafts of assignments for this class that I just left unpublished. I had worked on it throughout the week, and in the middle of a break on Friday night before posting, I broke my train of thought with enough external distractions that I streamlined into my sleep schedule and went to bed without submitting my work! This was a combination of poor time management and simple error in letting my sleep system get the better of me and keep me on track to go to bed without realizing I still had assignments to upload.

What did I learn from this? That my sleep pattern is rigid and strong enough to beat me doing work, and that I should work ahead of my due dates for unforeseen circumstances affecting my ability to do work. 

Failure as a whole is an extremely powerful mindset to break apart from, especially considering the way our education system, society and individually we cultivate a mindset and environment where failure carries such strong concepts and the methods of rewarding failure and success create cycles that perpetuate our fears. It will obviously take a whole cultural shift but one that genuinely will be for the better in my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. The same thing happened to me, although I guess I left a few unpublished unintentionally. There is a lot to keep up with. There is a fine line to be struck between acknowledging failure and dwelling on it and letting it make you doubt yourself. I hope you haven't done that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this, I think everyone can probably relate to being distracted from schoolwork, even when we know that failure to do the homework will negatively impact the final grade. The way you related failure to the overall bigger picture in the last paragraph was unexpected – a surprising realization that our culture’s mindset about failure is detrimental to society overall.

    ReplyDelete